Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Wintering: Canadian Stylie

I feel we Canadians "winter" very well.   Some cultural highlights of the season in these parts:

1. Embrace the Flavours

They're all a delight...but oh my!  The maple-bacon donut (top right) is really the toast of the town at the moment.  
If you're in Vancouver don't miss them here.

2) Simple Sounds for the Soul

This Canadian husband-wife duo dubbed "Whitehorse" is on loop here while
I paint during these frosty months.  Am addicted to this one...oh and
 this one too...


3)  "Heydid anyone ever think that maybe Sylvia Plath wasn't crazy, she was just cold?"
                                                                                                                              -Lorelai, Gilmour Girls


(Photo: Olwyn Hughes)
The only thing on my list of things to do this
week:  finally watch the movie!  


Hope you are all enjoying your winter days and nights too!

What new flavour/ sound/ story have you discovered lately?


11 comments:

  1. A maple bacon donut sounds too good to be true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no. Your first picture is so delicious,mouth-watering donuts and I want them!
    I listen to The Knife very often lately. Thanks for introducing new tunes. I probably check them out.

    Dita
    Via EBT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Canada in the winter doesn't sound too much like the ones my family and I escaped from in 1987 after 12 years in Alberta! Trouble is, the flipping weather seems to have followed us back to the UK - we're suffering at the moment, with the forecast of -16C for some parts tomorrow (not us, thank goodness - but even -12 is horrific for this little island!) Would you like to take it back again, please?

    Some possible bedtime reading - you're invited to visit us anytime: we'd love to see you and if you'd follow us too, that would be lovely. Found you via the Etsy Blog team site!

    Isobel: www.ColdhamCuddliescalling.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Isobel! Ya, we'll be right there to take back the weather. I suppose this confirms that we still have "commonwealth family" ties!

      Delete
  4. Ah, winter in Oslo is not quite as romantic as it was down in the Southern parts of Norway. It is so cold that my sinuses are inflamed and I don't dare step outside. Maybe I'll just stay inside for another couple of months if I want to survive...

    Those donuts, on the other hand might be able to get me out :)

    And thanks for the lovely sound of Whitehorse, might turn out to be my new favorite band.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this donuts look amazing! I've heard that bacon on sweet things is really good...I hope to give it a try soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maple bacon donut, you say?! Yum!

    I feel like we "winter" very well here in Chicago, too. It's been cold this year, but still no snow. We've been staying in a lot and catching up on movies and drinking tea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the quote about Sylvia Plath and tha doughnuts look awesome! How are your days Melissa? The light is slowly coming back here - very slowly but it IS coming back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Krisha it's been a long long winter...and it's not over yet! We have snow in the forecast but the skies are bright right now. Candlelight and stews are getting me through! Glad to hear you are making the most of the dark days too!

      Delete
  8. Those donuts look sooooo delicious! Just thinking about the "maple-bacon donut" is making my mouth water!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Melissa! Check out my blog! I have good news for you! ;-)
    http://www.trebuchetblog.com/
    Daniela

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...