Thursday, November 6, 2014

Container Couture

I'm most definitely weeks and weeks behind all the other Pacific Northwest gardeners, but I've finally tilled our patches and planted our spring bulbs.

...and I'm beyond thrilled (don't want to say I've been 'obsessed' with these for years ever since I read this article, but...) to have in my possession the most amazing collection of dwarf irises!  I procured them at the local garden shop,  which always carries comprehensive cargo, but have never had quite this selection of rare and coveted dwarf irises.

We are small-space dwellers, and container gardeners, so these littles are the perfect fit.  In my special collection are the following petite species:
  • - danfordiae
  • - katharine hodgkin
  • - j.s. dyt
  • - cantab
  • - natasha

I'm especially excited to have the brilliant plum-hued j.s. dyt and the superbly speckled katharine hodgkin. There are many others who share my enthusiasm for these petite irises;  groupies, unite!




The beautiful Katharine Hodgkin. (source)


I'd also love to plant a fragrance garden, a mono-chromatic planter, and a colour-wheel flower pot.  Maybe next season...

So excited for these to spring forth!

14 comments:

  1. These little guys are so cute! These smaller ones would be nice at my house as well. While we have plenty of room for them, the wine usually knocks them over in a day. The small ones would survive a little better :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, spring gusts definitely are underrated...that is a good point! I'll post an update once they are sprouted and grown. Hopefully these littles will be hearty!

      Delete
  2. Ooooh, I love the idea of a color-wheel flower pot. I was all proud of myself because I kept the plants on our porch alive all summer, and that was only because it rained consistently. Haha. Maybe I'll try to branch out a little more next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No pun intended! Let me know how the "branching" goes ;P

      Delete
  3. I absolutely love the speckles! Beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, their delicate print is spectacular. I just couldn't believe my luck when the garden shop had them in stock!

      Delete
  4. Something beautiful to look forward to! I've never seen dwarf irises. Those flowers pictured are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm beyond excited! I'm not the most patient person, so this is really an exercise that is therapeutic for me...

      Delete
  5. These are lovely, I have never seen these over here. I especially love the colours of miss Hodgkin, she has a pretty pattern too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that is SOMETHING, you being from the best country for bulbs and all! (I think tulips is the Netherland's forte, but correct me if I'm wrong!). The rare beauty of the K. Hodgkin is awe inspiring...

      Delete
  6. Every year I intend to plant spring bulbs, but for some reason (...ahem...) I never do it :-)
    Gorgeous collection Melissa! They'll be so beautiful when blooming next spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah...I cannot say I have been consistent with my efforts either, Daniela. But I will celebrate the years these guys make it into the soil!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...